” A day of worry is more exhausting than a week of work”.–John Lubbock
Tis’ true! After having school aged children I realized the truth in this statement. I’ve always been a hard worker all my life no matter why I am delving into. In the trucking industry when things were hot I’d work an eighty hour week, no problem. However, I never felt the exhaustion I do now. Advocating for your child, protecting your family from an unjust world, and just plain ole’ stress and worry is way more exhausting then a week of work.
In my marriage, my husband does the physical labor but I do the emotional labor. Well at least most of the time. He’s been much more worried these days struggling in a weak economy. And I do see it taking a toll on him and can tell he is more exhausted these days. Maybe he is also starting to realize the truth in what I’ve been telling him for years. Worry is more exhausting then physical work. Yes, emotions and mental exhaustion can suck the life out of you!
I certainly am no expert on how to not worry or get over stress and worry but I know what can make me feel better. Here is my top ten.
10) Taking a mental health day. Saying the hell with it and let something wait another day. This one is hard for a hyperactive Type A personality but I do manage to do this from time to time.
9) Thinking about a time I felt worried and scared and remembering that I got through it. Yes, remembering that I survived such a tough time reminds me, And this too shall pass!
8) Removing myself from the world. Well at least for an afternoon.
7) Taking a nap. I don’t get to do this one very often but I’ve learned to take a 10 pr 15 minute power nap in the car.
6) Getting a massage once a month. Even if it is a quickie in the middle of the mall.
5) Baking. A great aroma in the house and a yummy treat afterwards,
4) Sex. Let those emotions and worries out. Need I say more….
3) Spending a Saturday afternoon in bed next to my husband even if we’re just cuddling and the kids are playing X-Box in the next room.
2) Having a family day!
1) Doing something with my kid’s! My kids can make me feel on top of the world!
Copyrighted 2011: danadogooder and DMT